Taekwon-Do originated from Korea and is the fastest growing Martial Art in History. Mostly due to the founder's inspiration and spirit, Taekwon-Do is now practised in all corners of the world. Taekwon-Do is for everyone, of any age or ability, and there are many benefits to starting Taekwon-Do, whoever you are: confidence, motivation, fitness, weight loss and a sense of personal achievement, to name but a few....
and for those wishing to aim high, Brit Spirit can offer you the pathway to competition success at regional, national, European and WORLD championship level!
We teach the original, International Taekwon-Do Federation style, the Traditional Martial Art as developed by the founder "General Choi Hong Hi" and now under the guidance of his son "Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa".
In Korean, tae (태, 跆) means "to strike or break with foot"; kwon (권, 拳) means "to strike or break with fist"; and do (도, 道) means "way", "method", or "art". Thus, Taekwon-do may be loosely translated as "the way of the foot and the hand" or "the art of hand and foot".
The style is noted for its' powerful and explosive kicking and striking techniques.
The study and practice of Taekwon-Do is multi-facetted, allowing the practitioner to explore and learn the full and true ethos of a traditional martial art. Your journey will include all of the following elements:
- Learning the techniques and curriculum of Taekwon-do
- Both anaerobic and aerobic workout, including stretching
- Self-defence techniques (hosinsool 호신술)
- Patterns (also called forms or tul 틀)
- Sparring (matseogi 맞서기), which includes 3-, 2- and 1-step sparring, semi-free & free sparring
- Relaxation and meditation exercises; breathing control
- Throwing and/or falling techniques
- A focus on mental and ethical discipline, etiquette, justice, respect, and self-confidence
- Breaking, (using techniques to break boards, bricks, tiles, blocks of ice or other materials for testing, training and martial arts demonstrations), can be separated into three types:
- Power breaking – using straightforward techniques to break as many boards as possible
- Speed breaking – boards are held loosely by one edge, putting special focus on the speed required to perform the break
- Special techniques – breaking fewer boards but using jumping or flying techniques to attain greater heights, distances, or to clear obstacles
- Gradings - exams to progress to the next rank
Our club is the only direct UK-ITF school operating in the area, giving our students direct access to Master Trevor Nicholls, VIII Degree, (President of UK-ITF, Head of the International Taekwon-Do Federation in Europe and Secretary General of the ITF worldwide) and, ultimately, Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa, President of the ITF world-wide and son of General Choi Hong Hi, the founder of Taekwon-Do.
"Brit Spirit TKD, run by III Degree Black Belt Peter Smith, is the club you would love to belong to. You will find there a professional guide how to become a real Martial Artist as well as great fun for the whole family. Bosabum Nim Smith provides help to achieve any goal. Whether it is just getting fit or becoming a British Champion he'll make sure you'll achieve it (with your own determination of course)!." -- Joanna Szczutkowska, III Degree, former ITF Taekwon-Do World Champion
" My son has been training in Taekwondo since the age of 4 (now 14 and a second degree black belt since aged 11) and during this time he had been fortunate enough to meet , train and be taught by Mr Smith. He has benefited greatly from Mr Smith's vast wealth of knowledge of all things taekwon-do as well as having his support throughout his competition entries and gradings. Mr Smith has been a one of many fantastic mentors to my son through his journey and and I will always appreciate his enthusiasm for teaching which in turn has rubbed off and left my son enthusiastic to learn all he can." -- David Budge, proud dad of Tate Budge, III Degree, GB Squad Member & two-time ITF Taekwon-Do World Champion